10 Remarkable Facts About Charles Darwin
Charles Darwin, the legendary naturalist, may have reformed modern science. Popular as he may be, many details of his life however have been hard to understand over the time.
The following are some remarkable (and weird) facts about his life:
1. Charles Darwin was an English naturalist who changed the way humans viewed themselves and the world around them through his amazing (but highly debatable) ideas on evolution and natural selection. (biography.com)
2. Darwin became a member of the "Gourmet Club," a group which met once a week to eat animals not usually included in menus, such as hawk and bittern. His appetite for weird food, nonetheless, broke down when he tried an old brown owl, which he found "indescribable.”(mnn.com)
3. For Darwin's 25th birthday on February 12, 1834, Captain FitzRoy named a mountain after him. “Mount Darwin” is the highest peak in Tierra del Fuego. (biography.com)
4. Darwin suffered from a mysterious illness for much of his adult life, with symptoms such as blisters, headaches, insomnia and vomiting often flaring up at times of stress or exhaustion. (wikipedia.org)
5. Although Darwin had begun developing his theory on evolution while touring the South Atlantic, he delayed printing "On the Origin of Species" for more than two decades. (mnn.com)
6. Darwin married his first cousin. It is thus weird and ironic that the person who gave emphasis to the importance of genetics in natural selection chose to marry his first cousin. (biography.com)
7. Darwin and his wife had 10 children, but three of them died at young ages — two as infants, and one at age 10. But Darwin was known to be quite devoted to his children. (livescience.com)
8. In a letter, Darwin confessed at age 12 that he only washed his feet once a month at school, due to a lack of anything with which to wash them. (wikipedia.org)
9. Charles Darwin was born on the same day as Abraham Lincoln, February 12, 1809. These two men had many similarities like having more than one child who died at young ages. (neoterama.com)
10. Charles Darwin was born at Mount House, Shrewsbury, and Shropshire, England. He died on the April 19, 1882, aged 73, at Down House, Downe, Kent, England. (wikipedia.org)
Almost everyone knows Charles Robert Darwin because of his theory ‘natural selection.’ But the abovementioned information are rarely known even by his adherents.
Richelle M. Acorda, the contributor, is a graduate from Advance Montessori Education Center of Isabela (AMECI), Philippines. She is a very sensitive person, inside and out, and loves joining different kinds of marathon. You can contact her at Richellefirstname.lastname@example.org
QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION:
Do you believe in evolution? Why?
Tags: Science, Social Science, Araling Panlipunan (A.P.), History, Philosophy, Sociology
To leave comments, click first the ‘Like’ button above (if you have not clicked yet).
Use the 'Share' button below or the ‘Send’ button above to invite friends to read this article.